This year I had a chance to see those celebrations in Dongbei village (洞背村) in Qingtian (Zhejiang province). What was happening?
- Lantern dance – music and red lanterns are supposed to scare away the evil spirits.
- Calligraphy – everyone had a chance to make their own ‘luck charm’, that is to be placed on the door.
- Opera and puppet show – traditional Chinese arts.
- Taiichi – there was a show after which you could try to practice it yourself.
- Food stands – must have point of every festival.
- Fireworks – there’s abundance of them during any Chinese celebration.