- What's that?
- A power bank.
- Sorry we have to confiscate it.
- HA?! Why?!
And here she points to a paper displaying new aviation regulations (which by the way, apply only in China):
1. Power bank must be carried for personal use.
2. Power bank must only be carried in hand luggage or carried around. It is not allowed to carry power banks in checked luggage.
3. If the rated power is less than 100WH, power banks can be carried without approval; power banks with the power between 100WH and 160WH can be carried after approval of air carrier. However, each passenger is only allowed to carry no more than two power banks.
4. It is not allowed to carry the power banks with power higher than 160WH or the power banks without identified rated power and with rated power unable to be worked out with the marked parameters.
5. Passengers are not allowed to use power banks to charge electronic devices during the course of the flight. Power banks must be switched “Off” during the course of the flight.
Civil Aviation Administration
August, 07 2014
Calculation methods for the rated power of power banks:
If the rated power is not directly marked, the calculation methods are as follows:
1. If Nominal Voltage (V) and Nominal Capacity (Ah) are given, the rated power can be calculated as follows:
Nominal Voltage and Nominal Capacity are usually marked on power banks.
2. If only milliampere (mAh) is given, please divide the number by 1,000, and you get ampere-hour (Ah).
For example: Nominal Voltage is 3.7 and Nominal Capacity is 760mAh, and then you get the rated power:
760 mAh ÷ 1000 = 0.76Ah
Making long story short:
You can take no more than 2 power banks with you and only in hand luggage. The trick is that each device has to have a sticker with rated power (my power bank didn't so I had to kiss it goodbye in Beijing).
Apparently those regulations were enforced in China after a few incidents of spontaneous combustion occurred at the airports.
So if you're planning a trip to China a want to take a power bank with you better check beforhand if it can pass security check at the airport.