- Download Alipay app from your app store. (You should do it before you arrive in China because Google Play Store won’t work here without VPN).
- Log in with your international phone number (not the Chinese one).
- You’ll see a question ‘Would you like to use the international version of Alipay?’ → YES
- Tap ‘ Tour Pass ’ icon (the blue icon with a suitcase and a credit card).
- Choose the amount of money you would like supercharge it with (maximum is 2000 CNY).
- Verify your identity. (Information you’ll have to provide: nationality, passport number, full name, date of birth, photo of Chinese visa, foreign credit card info – the one you’re using to top up the account).
To pay for any service in China:
- Chose the ‘Scan’ icon in the top left corner. → Scan sellers QR code. → type the amount you’re supposed to pay → confirm the payment. (This way of payment is used in small shops, taxis, food stands).
- Choose the ‘Pay’ icon (looks like bar code). → It will present your QR. → show the QR to the seller for scanning. (This way you’ll pay in supermarkets, restaurants and hotels.
After that all that China has to offer will be laid before you.
Welcome to China!